Let us know how Physics education is doing in your area and we’ll post it here. Submit newsletter items to AAPTflorida@gmail.com.
Thanks for signing up to receive the newsletter from the Florida Chapter of the American Association of Physics Teachers. Click here to forward this to a colleague.
- Step Up 4 Women is looking for ambassadors ($1000 stipend) to train others on how to effectively reduce barriers for women in physics by using STEP UP 4 Women lesson materials in their classroom. Application deadline is Feb 1.
- Spend your summer at Arecibo Observatory’s Research Experience for Teachers. Deadline is Feb 1.
- AAPT/AIP Master Teacher Policy Fellowship is taking applications for K-12 classroom teachers of physics and physical science (including elementary teachers) to act as agents of change in physics education. Deadline is March 15.
- Active Learning in Introductory Physics Courses workshop for high school and college. July 15-17 in Portland, OR. Early bird registration ends May 1.
- Check out one of the coolest and most most in-demand degrees: UCF’s new Photonic Science & Engineering B.S. (and FL-AAPT sponsor).
- UCF’s College of Optics and Photonics (CREOL) is hosting its first annual Photon Games! Geared for undergraduates and high school students in teams of up to 6. Compete for cash prizes in the optics and photonics events, including a brain bowl, photo contest, and hands-on lab challenges. Register by April 1.
- The Arecibo Observatory has a summer Research Experience for Undergraduates program. Deadline is Feb 1.
- Co-teaching position for a recent STEM grad wanting to teach, but without an education degree. Work with a veteran teacher this semester while earning a full salary. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- UCF Physics is hiring for a full-time lecturer.
- Full-time K12 teaching positions to be filled ASAP in Orange (email@example.com) and Brevard (Kingsley.Loren@Brevardschools.org).
- March 2-3, 2019: PhysTEC conference in Boston, MA.
- April 11-14, 2019: NSTA National Conference in St. Louis, MO.
- July 16-18, 2019: National Astronomy Teaching Summit in Baltimore, MD.
- July 20-24, 2019: AAPT Summer Meeting in Provo, UT.
- January 18-21, 2020: AAPT Winter Meeting in Orlando.
Florida science media you should probably be following
- Walkabout the Galaxy may be your new favorite podcast. This trio of UCF Planetary scientists compare their show to Car Talk. It’s a humorous discussion of the latest scientific and geek happenings … and you may end up learning something while you listen.
- If you aren’t reading FSU Physicist Paul Cottle’s blog A Bridge To Tomorrow, you’re missing out on legislative updates, education policy analysis, and witty commentary.
Want to help with FLAAPT? We could always use an extra pair of hands with the newsletter, updating the website, or event planning. If you’re interested and have a spare hour each month, contact AAPTflorida@gmail.com.